The Global Training Initiative offers various online short-term, certificate programs for our campus community and global partners. We utilize a number of e-learning platforms and channels for our training and development programs. Research suggests that a combination of asynchronous content and synchronous facilitation leads to the best e-learning outcomes.
Our virtual course options can be taken individually or as combination programs. More than 200 NC State and overseas students participated in GTI virtual programs during the summer of 2020 when we offered a menu of options that included program topics such as data science, global leadership, entrepreneurship and innovation, cultural competency, as well as technical and professional communications. Find information and active application links in the drop-down menu below.
All meetings will be facilited via Zoom Web Conferencing, and times are listed in Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Current Certificate Programs:
Global Education, Academics, and Research Skills (GEARS) in North Carolina
This academic, research and cultural exchange program enables academically gifted students to engage virtually in a variety of research projects. Students are paired with a mentoring Professor, learn research skills, work on assigned research tasks and interact with other undergraduate and graduate students. The program also includes a workshop, personalized feedback, and practice on academic poster presentations and a live webinar on tips and strategies for applying to graduate schools in the USA.research topics cover a wide variety of subjects and mentoring professors are from universities across North Carolina.
Winter 2021 Applications Now Open:
Session 1: January 11 – February 12, 2021 (5 weeks)
Session 2: February 1 – February 26, 2021 (4 weeks)
GEARS weekly meeting times are flexible and vary depending on the assigned professor.
Send inquiries to GEARS Program Coordinator Tim Rose, email@example.com.
This program provides training to the most in-demand data science skills and includes hands-on exposure to key tools and technologies, including Python and Tableau. Participants take an in-depth exploration of data modeling and visualization techniques.
- Explore statistics concepts, data handling, sampling techniques, fundamentals of programming & scripting in Python.
- Discover data using modeling, patterns, and algorithms and business applications techniques.
- Create quick data visualization using tools in Tableau with interactive dashboards to gain insights, show trends, and tell stories for real-world capstone projects and more.
data Analytics for Business and social sciences
This two-week program presents the fundamentals for Python and Tableau, and allows participants to apply new skills to relevant datasets in business and social science contexts. Participants will complete 1-2 hours of independent work as well as a 2 hour lecture daily.
Dates: January 11 – 22 at 8:00 PM EST (Mondays- Fridays, 10 days)
DATA SCIENCE PROGRAM
This two-week program presents the fundamentals for Python and Tableau, and allows participants to work in groups on various projects. Participants will complete 1-2 hours of independent work as well as a 2 hour lecture daily.
Dates: February 1-10, 2021 at 8:00 PM EST (10 consecutive days)
Send inquiries to Data Science Program Coordinator Lynn Wang, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Developing Cultural Competence (DCC) Student Certificate Program
This series of workshops helps students learn and apply valuable theoretical frameworks and practical skills while engaging with students from diverse backgrounds. The curriculum includes independent self-paced asynchronous work and four 90-minute facilitated cultural exchange meetings.
2020 Open Enrollment
- Session 1: December 7 – 10 at 9:00 AM EST (4 consecutive days)
- Session 2: Tuesdays through December at 9:00 AM EST (4 weeks)
2021 Open Enrollment
- Session A: Intensive, February 1-4 at 8:00 AM (4 consecutive days)
- Session B: Mondays through February at 5:00 PM (4 weeks)
- Session C: Tuesdays through February at 12:00 PM (4 weeks)
- Session D: Wednesdays through February at 10:00 AM (4 weeks)
- Session E: Fridays through February at 9:00 AM (4 weeks)
Send inquiries to DCC Program Coordinator Becky Cibulskis, email@example.com.
Our student and working professional communication certificate programs are designed to give participants a strong base of knowledge to help them work and communicate professionally in English in an international setting. Adapted to different levels, and professional and academic backgrounds, participants will participate in live group classes and receive one-on-one feedback and have access to online resources. Assignments include feasibility reports, formal proposals, oral presentations and other written homework assignments. Course content will be delivered online, both live and through uploaded content; active participation will be encouraged through small group work and individual communication with the instructors using email and Zoom. Guest speakers will enhance the course content and opportunities will be made for interaction with professionals in the areas of technical and business communication. All courses will include a wide variety of video recordings and print resources.
These programs is designed for people with an intermediate to high level of English. Minimum equivalent English levels would be:CEFR Level B1, TOEFL 70, IELTS 5.5, Duolingo 95
ESSENTIALS OF BUSINESS COMMUNICATION CERTIFICATE PROGRAM FOR UNIVERSITY STUDENTS
2021 Open Enrollment: January 18 – 29 (Live Sessions at 9:00 AM on Monday 1/18, Wednesday 1/20, Friday 1/22, Monday 1/25 and Thursday 1/28)
ESSENTIALS OF BUSINESS & TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION CERTIFICATE PROGRAM FOR WORKING PROFESSIONALS
2021 Open Enrollment: February 15-26 (Live Sessions at 7 PM on Monday 2/15, Wednesday 2/17, Friday 2/19, Monday 2/22 and Thursday 2/25
Send inquiries to Technical Communication Program Coordinator Tim Rose, firstname.lastname@example.org.
GTI is continuously leveraging the knowledge, skills and expertise at NC State University and our many partner instutions to offer customized programs on various topics. For inquires about how we can meet your online learning and professional development needs, please contact email@example.com.
Additional Program Offerings Include:
Academic Professional Development
- Students will prepare and utilize the materials and skills needed for effectively marketing their academic skills to employers including, resume, cover letter, relationships, elevator pitch, research presentations and interviews.
Building Bridges: Introduction to Coalitions
- Students will identify the factors which lead to effective coalitions, and apply leadership strategy to practice the skills needed to build understanding across differences.
- Students will discuss social, political, economic and religious norms in the two countries as a practice in building cultural knowledge and sharing personal experience.
Entrepreneurial Thinking (IP) and Business Plan Implementation (BPI)
- Students from various academic disciplines will work together to identify and analyze the viability of entrepreneurial opportunities, collaborate in effective entrepreneurial teams and understand what is required to develop entrepreneurial ventures.
- Students gain awareness and application of personal leadership style and cultural preferences and how these elements will influence their own leadership efficacy. Students will identify and practice skills related to building diverse teams and managing across differences.
Introduction to Interfaith Engagement
- Students will consider the basic framework for effective interfaith engagement in the 21st century.