News

Meet the Team: David McNeill

david mcneill profile photo

Tell us about yourself.

I am a native of Raleigh, went to nearby Broughton High School, and grew up cheering for the Wolfpack with our family having season tickets to football and basketball games. I went to Tennessee for university where I majored in Psychology and minored in Ancient Near Eastern Studies. I then worked in Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas, and the country of Turkey, before returning to Raleigh.

I am an alumnus of the NC State Jenkins MBA program with a dual concentration in Entrepreneurship and Business Analytics. I also hold an MA in Biblical Studies with a focus on inductive and contextual interpretation of ancient texts.

Tell us what you were doing before you came to NC State/GTI.

My wife and I wanted our four sons to grow up with a love of other languages and cultures, so I took a job in Turkey for three years. We all learned Turkish and have many wonderful memories and friendships from our time there.

David and family in Turkey

Tell us what you do in a few sentences.

I was the first employee of GTI and so have done all the roles at one point or another. Some days I would drive the bus, teach the workshop and take the visiting delegation to dinner all in one day. Now that we have a wonderful and talented team, I focus on developing new business opportunities for GTI, budgets and financial strategy and oversight, developing our growing portfolio of Virtual Reality tools for cross-cultural training, oversee our Middle East programs, and teaching global entrepreneurship.

What do you like to do outside of work?

I love to play tennis, sail, build furniture, renovate old houses, create new tastes in the kitchen (some good), and spend time with my family.

What’s something about you (a fun fact) that not many people know?

I have visited over 20 cities that at one time in history were the capitol of their country. Also, my father was an alumnus of NC State’s College of Engineering as are two of my sons. My mother went to Meredith, so another NC State-Meredith connection.

What’s the next place on your travel bucket list?

New Zealand