Global Skills in the Workplace

The Global Training Initiative recently awarded six certificates to the professionals who completed the Global Skills Certification Training. The participants completed all three workshops in the series, which provided opportunities for each of them to examine their own cultural preferences and navigate intercultural differences.

“I wanted a better, cultural understanding of people from around the world; and I wanted to develop perspective and skills on how to interact with culturally diverse populations,” said Alicia James, who is the policy and program manager for the Institute for Emerging Issues.

The certification series explores various frameworks used to understand culture and provides strategies and tools to help professionals manage and leverage cultural differences in their organizations and interactions with others. The training utilizes real world scenarios, including a session utilizing virtual reality, to help participants identify strategies for bridging cultural gaps.

Participants in a workshop
Participants discuss strategies for bridging cultural gaps in professional contexts

“Real-world scenarios that are based on past-participant experiences are more beneficial for adult learners to relate and connect with the information because it is more likely to resonate with their actual experiences,” explained Lindsey Misko, one of the primary GTI trainers in the certification workshops.

Recent graduates of the certification training have already started to use their newly acquired global skills:

“After learning the English language was a bit more direct than many other languages, I began to style switch with my employees. Additionally, I started to use “maybe” more often when interacting with my international employees,” said Sevante’ Bishop, a supervisor for the McKimmon Conference & Training Center.

“One of the skills I noticed I began to apply almost immediately following the workshops was shifting my attitude regarding other’s cultural preferences. Specifically, I feel I have shifted more regarding time and feedback/communication,” said Kasey Harris, a student services specialist with University College. “I am more intentional with the feedback and try to provide it in a way that may be more clearly received by the recipient. This may mean choosing different phrasing, adjusting my posture, or even just simply following up with some clarifying questions. Regarding time, I feel that I’m more understanding and flexible with my time, which I hope is a small step in helping students feel more comfortable adjusting or readjusting to life on campus.”

Spring Workshop Series Now Open

The recent graduates of the certification training recommended the series for all professionals.

“It truly is useful for everyone regardless of their professional level or field,” added Harris. “I think better understanding your own and others’ cultural preferences can make for a more harmonious working/living environment. Truly, anyone can benefit from the workshop series, especially those who work in leadership positions.”

Visit our website to register for the spring Global Skills Certification Training series.