GTI Congratulates Our 2022 Graduates

students in red cap and gown jumping in front of the Belltower
Graduating seniors enjoy some time at the Bell Tower in cap and gown. Photo by Becky Kirkland.

The Global Training Initiative team includes several graduates who have persevered through some challenging years to complete their degrees of study. These student workers have been instrumental in the success of the GTI over the last few years. We are proud of everything these graduates have accomplished and congratulate them as they are preparing to enter the next phase in their lives.

Emily Giglio, GTI Graduate Facilitator

Emily Giglio was a graduate facilitator with GTI’s Developing Cultural Competence student certificate program where she enjoyed interacting with students and professionals from all over the world. Emily will be working as a training coordinator after graduating from the Master of International Studies program.

What did you learn about your own culture and/or your cultural competence?

I gained a lot of self-awareness, particularly as it related to how I currently engage and how I can grow in cultural dialogues.

Jiwoo Kim, GTI Communications and Social Media Intern

Jiwoo Kim worked with GTI’s communications team for two years, helping grow the unit’s Instagram channel and utilizing her creativity and artistic judgment to create graphic designs for various programs and social media campaigns. Since she started working when the pandemic first started, Jiwoo worked remotely like the rest of the GTI team, but her second year involved more in-person interactions with the team. Jiwoo is graduating with a B.A. in psychology and will be starting NC State’s Master of Social Work program this fall.

I learned to interact more comfortably and share my own culture openly with others from different cultures.

Photo of Jiwoo Kim
Jiwoo Kim

Nicole Moore, GTI Programs Intern

Nicole Moore worked with GTI Programs Coordinator Adrienne Shank to help with the SKEMA program during the 2021-22 academic year. This year’s cohorts of SKEMA students were some of the largest ever in the history of the GTI’s partnership with the school, and she really enjoyed meeting them and hearing about the differences between U.S. American and French culture. She will be working as the Assistant Director of Admission at the Savannah College of Art Design after graduating from the Master of International Studies program.

I learned that Americans are seen as very casual. More casual than I thought. It was interesting to hear the SKEMA students comment on our greetings and dress as being so casual it was sometimes off-putting.

Photo of Nicole Moore
Nicole Moore

Madison Sinclair, GTI Programs Assistant

Madison Sinclair worked with several GTI programs this semester as a programs assistant. She helped with activities for visiting students from Saudi Arabia as well as visiting scholars from Denmark. Her favorite part about working with GTI was getting to learn first-hand about different cultures. Madison is graduating with a B.S. in nutrition science and plans to travel after graduation.

During this semester, I learned that my cultural awareness was really limited. In school, I wasn’t taught much about other cultures. So to be competent, I really have to take the time to do my research. At times, there were some cultural barriers that I had to overcome. There were some awkward silences, but in the end, we were always able to find common ground.