GTI Student Snapshots: Caroline Hild

Caroline Hild was a graduate student in the SKEMA Business School, which is a global business school that is based in France with satellite campuses in Brazil, China, and at NC State University in the U.S. She was born in London with Polish, British, and French roots. Hild had always wanted to live in the U.S. and has recently started her career in Raleigh working at ARCSys.

What did you like about NC State?

I love the atmosphere of a big American university. It’s very different from France and from England where I pursued my undergraduate degree. Everyone is very friendly and there are so many things to do, from joining student organizations to taking exercise classes and attending various events.

What advice do you have for new international students?

The most important thing is to separate from students in your class who share your culture and language as much as possible. By forcing yourself to be independent, you open the door to so many opportunities. It’s much easier to talk to people and for people to come and talk to you. And don’t be afraid to talk to people. It was difficult at first, but I’ve done it countless times now that it’s become natural. I’ve never met people this friendly in my life, and if you want to talk to a stranger, this is the place to do it! I would also advise to join CENet (Cultural Exchange Network). The events are free and optional to attend, and we offer a variety of events to please everyone. It’s the perfect place to meet American students and international students as well.

What other ways did you get involved on campus?

I also participated in “Think and Do in 2“. It’s a global storytelling competition where I had 2 minutes and 6 pictures to tell my story. It was definitely challenging but really rewarding to share my experience and meet some great people along the way!

Hild also received the Leadership Development Certificate after completing the program through Leadership and Civic Engagement.